Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Cloth Diapers Anyone!?-updated

Yes I did just say cloth diapers.....If you are like me the image of old baby pictures of safety pins, holding a piece of cloth on and under water proof plastic pants when words "Cloth Diapers"are heard. Followed by the thought of gross and thank goodness for modern times and disposables.

Well yes!! I agree thank goodness for modern times and the modern way to cloth diaper. You still can find the old fashion way of cloth diapering to extent, but wow have things changed. First off there is a whole other world that surrounds cloth diapers including its own language almost......

Wait!! lets back up a little bit, since you may be wondering why I am talking about cloth diapers. Back in April as it was getting time to buy Jaylee new diapers I had gone into Costco to check prices to be sure it was still a great deal for my buck. I have been buying Kirkland brand disposables from Costco since Jarren was born. Well while I was there I was a little bummed, OK a lot bummed on how much they have inflated in cost almost $11 a box since Jarren was diapered and $4 since Joseph. Knowing and thinking about some dear friends that are avid cloth diaper mamas. I started to research and crunch numbers of  it's value and would it be worth it. So at 7 months old we made the switch to cloth diapers.

......Now back to learning the world of cloth diapers. There are many many options to chose from that fit your life style, budget and baby needs. I will be honest I was a little overwhelmed at first which did not help my over active brain or some would say over analytical.

In the end it was much easier then I thought. As for the cost of diapers I have chosen not the cheapest but for sure not the most expensive (remember I was looking to save money) diaper. So yes there is an up front cost to have a good useful stash of diapers. We will break even about Nov/Dec and still stand to save over $1500 by the time Jaylee potty trains. The amount of diapers you have is all up to you and how often you want to wash them. I have tried a small handful of diapers and have come to love a brand called Bum Genius.

Remember when I said the cloth diaper world pretty much has it own language well that is because of the options out there and with the brand we have chosen it is called a one size (os) pocket diaper, because it is designed to grow in size with your baby from about 8 pounds to 35 pounds so from birth to potty training. Way cool right !!  Once you buy your diapers you will never ever have to buy more in a bigger size. Being a pocket means it stuffed with an insert that will hold all the babies wetness or other gifts a little can leave you.
I will not go into all the other diapering options or insert options. But if you want to know more I am always glad to share what I have learned. Now I am in NO Way an expert on this. In fact I am still learning new things all the time.

As for the need to wash them, it really is nothing since we have four children living in our home I am always doing laundry so what is one more load right. It really is easy I just wash about every 3 days. I really don't even notice it since our wash machine is going almost every day for what ever reason or need.

Awe, yes I know your thinking or asking the question "What about yucky poo diapers?" Well like I mentioned earlier that the clothing diaper world has made modern advances with things like a diaper sprayer. No swish and wash in the toilet or getting poo on your hands.

So as you can see our diaper sprayer is just attached to the toilet's water main and has proven to have other uses such as cleaning trash cans, cleaning the toilet from little boys and so on.....

After almost 4 months of cloth diapering I have to say it was much easier then I thought and I love it more then I ever expected too. I wish I had clothed diapered my boys and the best part is: If I take care of my diapers I can resell them for almost half of what I paid for them. I love how they look like a disposable and even go on like a disposable. Since the change over to cloth we have not had one blow out poo. The Cloth diapers have contained it all so no messy poo up baby's back or down her legs. It is by far easier to spray the poo out her diaper then to give her bath from poo going all over the place. Even John has grown accustom to them as well.  I also have come to love the way cute fluffy bum and prints and Jaylee spends many hours in just in a diaper. So yes it has proven to totally worth it!!!

There are many reasons why people choose to cloth diaper, from environment, the cute factor, natural reasons, and cost savings. For us it was solely a cost savings. but secretly I really love the cute factor.
 Above are a few of our diapers that we love. As you can see there few different styles from Velcro or snaps and even the snaps can differ from one brand to another.
  The inside looks no different then a disposable. And they are super soft!! They work like a disposable as well with the stay dry fleece sucks away wetness down into the absorbent insert keeping baby dry like a disposable does. Way Nice!!!
Jaylee in her 1st ever cloth diaper.



 I love a cute diaper bum!! She spends most her days like this.
One of my favorite prints!!! How could not love it!!



4 comments:

Tamara ViAnn said...

I didn't know you were trying cloth! I've loved cloth diapers but am taking a break trying to use up the last of my stash of disposables. Bum Genius were actually my least favorite :) My personal favorite are Swaddlebees. Make sure you check out diaperswappers dot com if you haven't already.

John and Heidi said...

I have not tried Swaddlebees. I have herd they are great. I may have look into getting one. I didn't know you clothed as well. Thanks for the info.

BarbC said...

So happy you are loving your cloth diaper journey. We are still loving ours, and I'm really turning into a Ragababe snob. I hate to say it. They are my favorite.

Lizz said...

Hmmm... If I were to have another baby.... Maybe. The sprayer makes it a little more.... No Nevermind. I just threw up in my mouth. I never handled poo well. Glad you're liking it! (Cloth diapers, not poo)